Apply for a Contractors License CSLB Waiver

Are you required to take the contractors license examination? Or can you apply for a contractors license CSLB waiver?

cslb examination waiverBelow are the guidelines regarding the contractors license examination waiver process.

If you do not currently or have not previously served as a qualifying individual for the same classification being applied for, or within the past five years have not passed the law and/or trade examinations, you will be required to take and pass the Examination for licensure.

If you currently serve, or within the past five years have served, as a qualifying individual for the same classification being applied for on a license in good standing, or within the past five years have passed the law and trade examinations for licensure, as outlined in Business and Professions Code section 7065, No Examination will be required.

Waiver provisions for the examination are outlined in Business and Professions B&P Code section 7065.1 and 7065.2. You must meet all of the conditions of the appropriate section for the Waiver Provision to apply. In some cases, only the trade exam may be waived.

Currently, waiver provisions defined in B&P Code section 7065.1 may be granted under subsections 7065.1b and 7065.1c. While 7065.1a also provides for waiver of the exam, the Registrar exercised his authority to suspend waivers under this section.

There are many intricacies when it comes to a contractors license examination waiver. Let me help you sift through the red tape to find out if you qualify for an examination waiver.


  1. My husband has been a contractor ( finishing and coatings) for 25 yrs . My son has been working by his side helping him all these years ; this has been a family business (sole proprietor) . My husband is planning on retiring in the next couple of years and my son will be taking over the business will he need to take the exam or can he take over the existing license?

    • Hello Mary,

      Does the license carry workers comp and has your son been on payroll? If so, you could apply for a “family waiver” that would allow your son to take over the license. If not, your son would have to apply for a new license number.

      To qualify for a family waiver, your son would have to be able to show at least five years of experience (under the license) within the preceding seven years.

  2. I was a general partner in a General Eng. construction co. for 20 years. My wife held our lic. as we claimed woman owned. We divorced in 2012 and that co. was dissolved. Do I qualify for an exam waiver?

    • Hello Terry,

      The only waiver you could have qualified for is the Listed on License Waiver. To qualify for that waiver you would have to be listed on an “active” license for five out of the last seven years. You may qualify for a license (and take the exams) if you can prove (with documentation) your A experience for 4 yrs out of the last 10 yrs.

Speak Your Mind