Starting a Construction Business

Starting a Construction Business

Starting a construction businessStarting a construction business isn’t easy by any means. There is a lot of planning and steps to take. I’m going to attempt to break it down to the basics.

First, what business entity to choose. If you choose a corporation or LLC you’ll want to file your articles of incorporation with the Secretary of State (SOS). This is a service I offer, but if you prefer to use an online company click here.

Next you’ll want to obtain a Federal Employer ID number. You can get this number from the IRS using their online system. It will provide you with the FEIN in just minutes.

You will need to apply for a business license in your city or county. Here is a page of helpful information regarding business licenses.

If you are going to use a fictitious business name (FBN) you’ll need to apply for it in your city or county. Generally, the same government office that issues business licenses will also handle the FBN filing.

Opening a business bank account. You’ll need a copy of the filed FBN statement with you when you open the bank account. Unless you are using your personal name as your business name, the bank will not open a business account for you unless you have the filed FBN statement.

After the SOS has issued your corporate number, you can then apply for your contractor’s license. I offer a full range of license application services. Whether you need me to complete all of your documents for you, or just a review of the documents you’ve prepared, I’ll be happy to assist you.

If you are applying for a sole owner (sole proprietor) license, you can apply for your contractor’s license at any time. If you use your personal name for the business name on your contractor’s license, you will not need to file a FBN with your city our county.

Here is something that many new corporations miss… the SOS will notify the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) when the corporate number is issued and you will need to file a tax return, even if no business was conducted or if the contractor’s license was never issued. I have heard from people who formed an S corporation, received their contractor’s license number, but never conducted any business. They did not file a return with the FTB and they failed to pay the corporate taxes when due. When they tried to renew their license they discovered that the corporation was suspended at the SOS by the FTB for overdue taxes and penalties. I highly recommend finding a reputable CPA to help you.

To break it down….

  • Choose your business entity type
  • Submit your articles of incorporation with the SOS (if you’re forming a corp)
  • Apply for an FEIN with the IRS
  • Open a business bank account
  • Apply for your contractor’s license

As I said at the top, this is a basic list of what you need to do to start a construction business. It’s obviously more involved than this, I just wanted to give you the basics to get you started.

As always, I’m available to answer any questions that you may have. Everybody’s situation is different and I’d be happy to help you navigate through this process. Feel free to email your questions to me at ContractorLicenseService at


I am a Navy vet and former laborer for a B-Gen Bldg contractor, I built mobile homes for many years, I worked at the Contractors State License Board for 5 yrs, and have been operating a contractors license service company since 2005.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Let's Chat with the License Guru

Have questions? Contact Us.

Scroll to Top